Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Kalas- they must be greek

Whenever we go over the bridge to edgewater (3 or 4 days out of the week) I have several sweet memories of my parents.
Kalas Funeral Home despite it being a funeral home brings a big smile to my face. Whenever my parents visited- every time we drove by my dad would say "Kalas, they must be Greek." I am talking every time. I think my mom would get irritated, but eventually just laughed as did I. We loved the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, so I think some of the joking came from that.

Another Edgewater story involved road trips to new york YEARS and YEARS ago. We ALWAYS took the back roads when traveling- so instead of I95 for 9 hours we traveled via 301 to Nana's house. I do remember all of the car dealerships in waldorf (we have a picture of Ivan with the hummers & palm trees) and the playground equipment at the Maryland welcome center with the powerplant in the background.
One of the first times my parents came to our townhouse in Edgewater they kept saying- we can't believe that you live near the baseball bat! Baseball bat huh? And sure enough- near the burger king & annap. seafood restaurant there is a giant concrete baseball bat. There must have been a batting cage or mini golf or something there back in the day. And our house was right behind that.

I love how something from my past is relevant and can give me something to smile about in the present.

1 comment:

LoveLladro said...

Your memories made me smile. I think and pray for you often.